About Personal Protective Equipment
Personal Protective Equipment
Instructors: Ulrika Allard Bengtsson and Per Staugaard
This course will both give a theoretical overview of the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) in BSL2 and BSL3 laboratories and also the instructors practical experience with different sorts of PPE. The course will focus on why (risk assessment), how and when to choose adequate PPE (gloves, safety glasses, lab coats, respiratory protection, etc.) for different purposes. We will also go through the importance and how to perform fit-testing of respirators.
The course will also cover experiences from the Covid-19 pandemic and how to deal with shortage of ordinary PPE used.
After this course the participants will have knowledge about why, when and how to use PPE – “using the right PPE in the right way and the right situation”.
This course is particularly suitable for laboratory managers, biosafety professionals etc, responsible for supervision and for safety standards and training of personnel. Previous experience is not required.
- Personal Protective equipment in the framework of [bio-] occupational health strategy
- Protective clothing
- Respiratory protection
- Other PPE (shoe covers, ear and eye protection)
After this course the participant
- Can evaluate the necessity of PPE and how it should be used, on basis of a preliminary Risk assessment,
- Understands the obtained level of protection,
- Can make a choice between available protective gear,Knows differences between single use and reusable equipment,
- Is aware of the need for basic maintenance of reusables.
- Is aware of the false sense of safety of low protective gear.
CWA 16335:2011 reference
C.188.8.131.52. Personal protection