About Managing infectious aerosols in a laboratory setting: Lessons learned from COVID-19
Managing infectious aerosols in a laboratory setting: Lessons learned from COVID-19
Instructor: Allan Bennett OBE
Online course on November 8, 2022
14:00 - 16:30 (CET time)
13:00 - 15:30 (UK time)
This online course will describe how aerosols are formed and infect people.
The types of equipment to generate and measure aerosols will be described as will a review of information used to inform risk assessments for the generation and spread of aerosols.
- Definitions of aerosols compared to droplets, how they are formed and how they infect.
- How data generated by aerosol studies informed public health advice and policy during the COVID pandemic
- History of aerosols causing laboratory acquired infections
- How laboratory equipment and facilities are used to control and generate aerosols
- How this information can be used to inform risk assessments and laboratory procedures.
- Define aerosols and droplets
- List the types of apparatus that can be used to generate and measure aerosols in a laboratory setting.
- Describe how aerosol data can be used to inform laboratory and public health advice
C.18.104.22.168 Containment principles
Primary containment (e.g., Biological Safety Cabinet, isolator); Secondary containment (e.g., laboratory facility);
Filtration (air, vacuum, etc.);
Air flow and pressure differentials;
Safe working practices