About Pre conference course I. Moving on without leaving a trace - decommissioning in practice (1 day)
Pre conference course I. Moving on without leaving a trace - decommissioning in practice (1 day)
When containment facilities or equipment are taken out of service, repurposed or deconstructed, a formal decommissioning process must ensure that all potential biological risk have been removed. This requires a dedicated risk assessment supporting careful planning of sequence of decontamination activities, removal and redirection/ disposition of all materials.
This one-day course, in line with ISO35001:2019, is intended for biosafety professionals and managers involved in the decommissioning process. A practical approach will be introduced and will be illustrated with cases ranging from low-risk facilities to high-containment facilities (BSL3 and higher). At the outcome, participants will be familiarized with issues related to planning and managing decommissioning processes for biocontainment facilities.
- What is decommissioning?
- Risk evaluation - know your bug(s), people, procedures and facilities
- Fate of biological material
- Decontamination methods and strategies for equipment
- Decontamination methods and strategies for facilities
- Waste handling
- Integration in a decommissioning plan
- Decommissioning as part of planning new facilities
- Surprises and pitfalls – examples
CWA 16335:2011, annex C reference
- C 126.96.36.199 Selection, validation, certification and maintenance of equipment
- C 188.8.131.52 Facility design, construction, commissioning, validation, operation and maintenance
- C 184.108.40.206 Biological waste management